Big Sky ConferenceCollege FootballIdaho State BengalsSportsWeber State Wildcats

Weber State Claims 4th Straight Big Sky Title With Win Over Idaho State

OGDEN, Utah – The Weber State Wildcats won their fourth straight Big Sky title and their first outright championship with a 20-15 win over Idaho State.

Weber State wrapped up the regular season undefeated and for the first time in history have won the Big Sky Conference outright. They won a share of the title in each of the last three years leading up to the spring 2021 season.

It was the second meeting of the season between the Wildcats and Bengals. Weber State won the first meeting in Pocatello 49-21 in the season opener on February 27.

Weber State quarterback Bronson Barron completed 15 of his 24 pass attempts for 258 yards and one touchdown. Dontae McMillan ran the ball 21 times for 90 yards and one TD. Josh Davis did not play in the game. Ty MacPherson caught four passes for 108 yards.

Idaho State QB Tyler Vander Waal went 19-of-41 passing for 268 yards, one touchdown and one interception.

Early in the first quarter, Idaho State tried to kick a field goal but it was blocked by Doug Schiess to keep the game scoreless. Midway through the second quarter, Idaho State was able to convert a field goal to make it 3-0 Bengals. With under five minutes to play in the half, Barron connected with Ty MacPherson on a deep ball that set up the Wildcats at the two-yard line. Two plays later, Dontae McMillan ran in a one-yard TD to give Weber State a 7-3 lead with 3:27 remaining until halftime.

Coming out of the locker room, the Bengals nailed another field goal to trim Weber State’s lead to just one, 7-6. Early in the fourth quarter, Barron threw a touchdown pass to Justin Malone to put the Wildcats ahead 14-6 with 14:24 left in the game. Shortly after the Weber State score, Idaho State finds the end zone but couldn’t get the two-point conversion. The Wildcats had a 14-12 lead with 10:58 remaining.

With 5:26 left in the game, Idaho State kicked a field goal to take a 15-14 lead. The Bengals had a touchdown but the tight end dropped the pass. Weber State’s offense woke up after that drive by ISU and went down the field and scored a touchdown. Daniel Wright Jr. ran it in to give the Wildcats a 20-15 lead with two minutes left.

As the Bengals tried to answer with a touchdown of their own, Vander Waal threw an interception to Marque Collins to seal the win for the Wildcats.

Weber State improved to 5-0 on the season and will now go into the postseason.

Show More

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button

Adblock Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker